Saturday, May 4, 2013

Maple Iced Almond Flour Cookies

I'm from the capital of maple syrup! Québec produces something like three quarters of the world's maple syrup. So my love for the sticky stuff is practically bred in me. And no artificial substitute for me, thanks! Maple syrup is pricey, yes, but the amount that is needed, and the flavour that it provides is worth it. Use maple butter to top pancakes, baked doughnuts, and whatever you think would taste awesome with maple syrup.
From left to right. Maple Iced Cookies, Snicker-doodles, and Coconut Cookies

Since eating "real" food my sweet tooth has been decreasing significantly. But when I do want something sweet I make these cookies. I also use the dough recipe as a base for other cookies (e.g., before pressing, roll in equal parts coconut sugar and cinnamon and you'll have an amazing snicker-doodle).

Maple Iced Almond Flour Cookies
(24 cookies)

What you need:

2 cups almond flour
5 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla (you could also add a vanilla bean here if you really wanted to get crazy!)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons homemade maple butter (see recipe below)

What to do:

Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with butter or with parchment paper. 
Melt the coconut oil in a glass dish in the oven while it's pre-heating.  Once melted, combine coconut oil, honey, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Add almond flour and combine. Roll balls with about a teaspoon of dough, placing on the cookie sheet. Use a flat cup (I use a mason jar) to gently press the cookies until they are about 1/3 to 1/2 inch. Bake for about 7 minutes. Wait a minute, top warm cookies with a dollop of maple butter, and then spread maple butter on the cookies one it has melted slightly. 
  
Maple Butter

What you'll need:

500 mL maple syrup (A grade will look prettier, while grade B will be more intense and slightly darker).

What to do:

Place ice in a large bowl and place a medium sized pot in it (this will cool the hot syrup).

In a really large pot (it can spill over real quick once boiling). Heat on medium heat until the syrup reaches a temperature of 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, Once ready, place in a large bowl filled with ice and use a smaller saucepan to use as a vessel for the hot syrup. Let this cool to 100 degrees F. Here's the "hard" part, you gotta mix the syrup (I used a wooden spoon) until it crystallizes, and this takes about 30 minutes. You can also use a mixer I suppose, but I kinda like it this way. You'll notice, after stirring for what seems like forever, that you all of a sudden have something creamy and thick. And that's it, right there, stop stirring and place in a mason jar (or 2 small ones).


No comments:

Why Another Food Blog?!?

I created this blog to journal my cooking and baking pursuits.

As someone who is conscious of the environment and the people who grow and harvest my food, most (if not all) of the ingredients I use are organic (or "free of pesticides"). Every time I choose to buy wild, local, organic, grass-fed, I choose against conventional factory farms, and mono-cultures. I choose to support farming practices that do not create toxic conditions for workers that pick my produce, as well as the pollinators that we rely greatly upon for so much of our food. I also try to be aware of genetically modified organisms (GMO's) as we are still uncertain on how they will affect us in the long-term. I vote with my dollar.

I try to cook using whole foods, while limiting my consumption of refined sugars, wheat, an processed foods. This is primarily for health reasons, as I have noticed that while consuming processed foods laden with refined sugars, wheat, and unhealthy oils, I've become very unhealthy. I'm learning while I go, remaining fluid throughout this journey.

I hope that we, as a society, begin to value food systems that are locally centered, support small farmers, small businesses, and individuals. As well as embrace fair trade and sustainable practices for coffee, chocolate, bananas, coconut, ect. in the communities that rely on exporting their goods.

I acknowledge that having these ethos can cost more for groceries, but I have also learned a few tips along the way to help keep costs down:

1. Shop at your Farmer's market!! You would be surprised on how inexpensive buying organic at the market really is, especially if you buy items right before they close (although, you can' t be too picky about what you get at these times). Ask for deals when you are there (especially at end of market)! Also, ask the farmers what their farming practices are, many grow organic and simply cannot afford to (or do not want to) certify.

2. Eat seasonally! Eating seasonally means less miles traveled, fresher ingredients, and lots of inspiration to work with! Get comfortable with food and working with different flavours.

3. Buy bulk! Buying bulk is a great way to reduce costs. If you have the motivation and the resources, pitch in with a group to get items at bargain prices!

4. Use those coupons! Most of the time coupons are used to advertise for processed foods and unhealthy items. However, the big chain natural food grocery stores often have really good deals and can be less expensive than their conventional counterparts.

5. Get gardening! Since I started planting my own food, I've become even more aware of what I eat and how it's grown. Even if you live in a small space, there are many things that you can grow in containers. Start with a few herbs, cherry tomatoes, and maybe even a container melon! There are endless possibilities here, and there is a great satisfaction in knowing how to grow your own food.

6. Barter! Try to trade or barter within your circle of friends, and maybe beyond. I know this may sound a little wacky to people who live in a society that is based off the dollar, but if you think about it, we all try to buy the same things anyways. Bartering or trading with your friends and/or neighbours can provide you with variety and a sense of community. You can make this fun by creating an event out of it! Trade canned goods, baked goods, and your own homegrown produce!

7. Experiment with herbs and spices! I haven't physically traveled much, but through the pursuits of my cooking adventures I've been all around the world! I still have many countries and regions to discover as food is a great way to learn about people around the world. You can buy spices fairly inexpensively in bulk at natural food stores.

Lastly. Have fun with it!

Thank you for reading.

Jen